Food supplements are concentrated sources of nutrients (or other substances) with a nutritional or physiological effect. Directive 2002/46/EC is to protect consumers against potential health risks from those products and to ensure that they are not provided with misleading information. Food supplement rules are harmonised in EU. Member States may, for monitoring purposes, request notification to their competent authority of the placing on the market in their territory of a food supplement product. Food supplement product label and datasheet needs to be submitted to OÉTI on the day of placing the product on the market in Hungary at latest. General rules for food labeling, packaging and marketing are applicable also for Food supplements. There are additional requirements for food supplements.
- the name of the category of any vitamin or mineral or other substance with a nutritional or physiological effect which characterises the product or an indication of the nature of that vitamin or mineral or other substance;
- the portion of the product recommended for daily consumption; a warning not to exceed the stated recommended daily dose; a statement to the effect that the product should be stored out of the reach of young children;
- a statement to the effect that food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet;
The labelling, presentation and advertising of food supplements shall not include any mention stating or implying that a balanced and varied diet cannot provide appropriate quantities of nutrients in general. The labelling, presentation and advertising must not attribute to food supplements the property of preventing, treating or curing a human disease, or refer to such properties. The amount of the nutrients or substances with a nutritional or physiological effect present in the product shall be declared on the labelling in numerical form.
Food supplement notification forms for Hungary
Related legal rules
- 37/2004. (IV. 26.) ESzCsM decree on food supplements
- 1924/2006/EC on nutrition and health claims made on foods
Use this link at your smarthpone to call